Name Tags

Folded edges in front, zigzagged behind

 Along with the pandemic 2020 has had devestating effects on our family.  My mother-in-law was hospitalized early this year and my father-in-law passed away shortly afterward.  Now my mother-in-law is in a long term care home.  Most of her personal support has been done by my sister-in-law who is doing her personal shopping among many other things.  Being in long term care means all her possessions (including clothing) needs to be labeled.  This is where I come in.


I made a first batch on fabric stretched across the hoop of my embroidery machine.  I then folded all four sides under and topstitched.  They were fussy, time consuming, not very professional and the stabilizer made them stiff which would not be comfortable against the skin.


The second batch I made with twill tape.  I was able to stretch them across the hoop without using any stabilizer.  This was much better.  The problem with twill tape is it quickly unravels, so again I folded the cut ends under and stitched.  This left a bit of a lump at each end of the label. I made a batch of 50 and I also sent a kit for hand writing labels for backup.


 


I made a third batch of 50 labels this weekend. You go through a lot of labels when every item (every sock for example) needs a label. This time I used twill tape again but instead of folding the ends under I just zigzagged and trimmed the ends.  This worked surprisingly well to prevent unravelling while still giving my sister-in-law something to stitch into.  They are going in the mail this week so I'll have to wait for feedback.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bionic Gear Bag - Pattern Review (long and pic heavy)

New Look 6735 - The Dedicated Post

Name That Bike!