2020 Quilts

I've managed to get caught up on finishing some quilts and starting new ones this year. First up is the quilt above intended for stepson's wedding. Life got very busy after I started it and then I thought perhaps they would get it for their first anniversary. Well that didn't happen either but it was only two months late for their second anniversary! It was all worthwhile as they love both it.  DIL is into new-age things and had her own meditation room, so along with the nature theme of the fabrics I thought "Zen" would be an appropriate name for this quilt.  


  


Once I finished up with Zen I made a point of finishing the quilt for the trailer that I had worked on when Thor was so sick.  I initially wanted to name it after Thor but then decided I don't need to name it after him to feel his connection to it.  Being that I will use this quilt camping along with the theme of the fabrics and embroidery I thought "Algonquin" would be appropriate.

  

  

Well by this time I was on a roll.  My MIL moved into a long term care home this year.  I was thinking perhaps a wheelchair quilt would be good, and saw some online that had a hand muff built in to keep hands warm.  I thought this was a really good idea, and also added a zipped pocket for tissues or a chapstick.  My lovely husband agreed to model it for me:


  

Much of the fabrics (other than the borders) came from mom's stash, and while rooting through them I found a lot of floral scraps.  My BFF is an avid gardener, so I decided a lap quilt was in order for her.  Both the pink quilt above and the blue/green one below have flannel backing and were designed based on Missouri Quilt Co.'s "Good Fortune".  The pink quilt was quilted with diagonal lines, but I used my dragonfly Pounce stencil to free motion quilt the blue/green one.  I haven't had any luck using the actual Pounce powder as it brushes off before I finish sewing it.  This time I used a washable marker to trace the design and it worked great.


  

Phew!  I do have 3 or 4 other quilts in the planning stage, but I'm taking a bit of a break from quilting to get a few other projects done.  I've just made jammie pants for daughter and son-in-law and I'm hoping to make a coordinating pair for each of the granddaughters.  I've also made another pair of Lutterloh fitted knit pants that I need to post about.




 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bionic Gear Bag - Pattern Review (long and pic heavy)

New Look 6735 - The Dedicated Post

Name That Bike!