The Harry Potter Quilt

 


Now that this quilt has been gifted I can finally post about it.  Harry Potter holds a spot in our hearts in this family.  Both my children were avid fans, and we give credit to the first book for turning my son into a reader.  I bought the book and started reading a chapter a night to the kids, but after 3 or 4 chapters my son was too impatient to wait until bedtime and picked up the book to finish it himself.  My daughter has incorporated the Harry Potter theme into a memorial tattoo for her brother.  So when I ran across these Harry Potter themed fabrics at Lens Mill I immediately started thinking about how I could incorporate them into a quilt for Daughter.

I ended up choosing 5 prints; one with the Hogwarts crest, one with the individual house crests, a Marauder's Map one, one with various Potter themed items and one of the Daily Prophet, the HP newspaper.  I used the same basic layout as I did for Algonquin and Dragonflies; 25 patch squares alternating with themed squares.  The 25 patch squares are the HP house colours.  This is a lap quilt at 5' square.

I embroidered "Lumos Always" around the inner border.  This message is personal to my daughter as it is part of her memorial tattoo.  I was really happy to find one of the fonts on my embroidery machine has almost a zigzag look to the "S"s, which made me think of Harry Potter's lightning bolt scar.



I did a free motion design over the body of the quilt and ruler crosshatching around the outer border.  I attempted to sew down the binding by machine but I wasn't happy with how it was looking so I ripped it out and sewed it down by hand.  I am much happier with the results.


Halloween Harry Potter



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bionic Gear Bag - Pattern Review (long and pic heavy)

New Look 6735 - The Dedicated Post

Name That Bike!