More Frozen Food!

 This is a continuation of the freezing obsession that I blogged about here.  I mangaged to get all the onions bagged up.  I think I prefer the ones frozen flat on the baking sheets.  The parchment paper really helped to break them up as I pulled up on it and as long as they don't thaw and refreeze I think they should stay scoopable.  The ones I froze in the muffin trays, on the other hand, didn't stick together as well as you'd think.  I froze them in a separate bag but I'm not optimistic that they will work out any better than the loose ones.  I won't bother with these next time.

Then I started on the potatoes.  I cut maybe 4lbs into french fries, blanched them for a couple minutes and froze them flat on the baking sheets.  Then I vacuum sealed them into a large bag.  I then cubed and fully cooked the remaining potatoes and froze them in ten 1lb portions in ziplock bags.  Google says you can reheat them by putting them in a pot of boiling water and then mash them fresh.  You can also use them to make roasted potatoes.  This method really appealed to me as I didn't want to spend all night mashing batches of potatoes, and I like the versatility this method offers.  I'm rereading this paragraph - apparently I really like the word "then" lol.

I did go back to the store today.  I bought and processed 10lb of beets and another 10lb of carrots.  I boiled the beets whole for about an hour, and then peeled and cubed them and froze them in 1lb portions in ziplock bags.  I still need to process a dozen zucchinis, half a dozen red peppers and, you guessed it, another 10lb of potatoes.  It's a sickness!  I may run out of freezer room.  Fortunately mom had a new one delivered today next door - I may have to beg some space in hers lol.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bionic Gear Bag - Pattern Review (long and pic heavy)

New Look 6735 - The Dedicated Post

Name That Bike!