Phoebe's First Project

Well Phoebe has finished her first project. This is New Look 6098. From past experience with New Look patterns I made it one size smaller than what my measurements called for and it is just right size-wise.  I'm still not sold on the kimono sleeves but they are so easy to sew and are very comfortable so they are growing on me.  I love the length of this top - I find it figure-flattering.  And I have shoes to match - who knew!

I had a heck of a time with the hem - it took three times to get it right.  First I serged the edge and then tried to sew a 1 1/2" hem with a double needle.  There is too much flare in the skirt for that deep of a hem and all I did was make a huge mess that had to be picked out.  So next try I folded the serged edge under and did a 3/4" double fold hem, again with the double needle.  This was too much bulk and therefore too stiff for the very soft drapey (is that a word?  Spellcheck says no) knit fabric.  I contemplated using the faux coverstitch but the sample also seemed too stiff for this drapey of a top.  So third time is a charm, right?  I just went and sewed a 5/8" seam with the double needle (great stretch with that!) with no serging and no folding underneath to eliminate any bulk from the hem.  Then I trimmed the extra off with my rotary cutter.  Brave?  Maybe but more likely I was just fed up! lol  Now the top hangs like it should instead of flaring out at the sides.  Whew!

I knew from reading other reviews of this pattern that the neckline is low-cut so although it is hard to see in the above pics I am wearing a camisole under it.

This was also the first time I really used Gertrude for fitting. That is also a learning curve but she is definitely making that job easier.  Now that Phoebe is here I really feel like I'm getting my act together.  I just need lots of practice to improve skills and techniques.  Good thing I've been acquiring stash like it's the zombie apocalypse!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bionic Gear Bag - Pattern Review (long and pic heavy)

New Look 6735 - The Dedicated Post

Stuck in First Gear