|A diaper with one main soaker snapped in at the top.|
The bottom snap is to add a booster.
Yesterday I found some websites that tested how much water different diaper soakers would hold. This got me curious so I tested my own soaker as well as a couple of different fabric variations.
Ultimately I will be working with four types of fabric: diaper flannel, microfleece, terrycloth and microfibre. (Yes, that's a funky camo design on my microfleece, it's what was in my stash lol.) The diaper flannel is known for its softness and the other three are known for their absorption. The microfleece is also supposed to be more of a "feel-dry" fabric when wet, and from what I'm reading it "releases" poop more easily. Sorry, but we are talking diapers here. There is lots of information online so I won't go into the whole procedure, but my original rectangle soaker help up quite well and soaked up over eight ounces of water. The problem is that after air drying for more than 24 hours it is still quite damp. I then decided that I need to do what is known as a petal design, or two separate soakers of maybe 3 layers each sewn together at one end so that they separate and dry easier. Then I changed my mind again and decided to make three layer soakers that can be combined with a snap as needed.
I have therefore made a three part system of soakers; a main shaped soaker, a rectangle booster/soaker and an overnight shaped booster. The main soaker and overnight booster is based on this pattern I found on this website that is chock full of good diaper info.
flannel liner of the shell depending on how heavily it is wet and/or how frequently baby is changed. I'm not overly concerned about this because I am making twenty shells, so there should be lots to work with. This doubles the soaker "stash" of singles, especially when baby is newer and changed more frequently but with smaller wet loads. I am making twelve of each, so when baby is a little older and a heavier wetter it will likely have less frequent changes, so I am hoping this will be an adequate stash. I'm sure daughter will let me know if it isn't.
The third part is intended for overnight for older babies or heavy wetters. Therefore I only made three of these. It is shaped as the original soaker. It has a top layer of microfleece, a middle layer of microfibre (what is sold in bulk lots for washing cars and whatnot - very absorbent), and a bottom layer of terrycloth: three heavy hitters in the absorption department. I added a male snap for using alone or with just the main soaker but if using it with two soakers then you would just lay it in the diaper. I didn't put snaps on the top side of the secondary soakers. I could always add them after the fact if daughter wants them.
That's about all the research I can do without a grandbaby here yet to test on. Ultimately daughter will decide what works for her, but hopefully she will be able to work with this system in one way or another. After obsessing about diapers for weeks, I am looking forward to some adult sewing as well as going to the Novi Sewing Expo on Friday with my mom. Yay us!