New Look 6837

 


I was going through my patterns when I ran across some that I got from my MIL.  There are three New Look patterns of coordinates; two for woven and one for knits.  All three have a version of a shell that caught my eye.  Of the two patterns for wovens one has a standard horizontal bust dart and the other has a French (oblique) dart.  As I've never tried a French dart I thought that would be a good project for today.  The pattern looks like it has never been taken out of the envelope.  


I traced it out and chose the brown and blue lightweight rayon from the stash.  I used this fabric before to make Butterick 5493.  This fabric drapes beautifully and as I just had a meter left it was destined for a shell of some sort.

I made my usual size 14 for big 4 patterns and the only adjustment I made was to add 1" to the length.  I do feel it fits me perfectly.  The armholes aren't too big and it sits nicely on the shoulders.  It is modest enough that it doesn't gape when I bend over which makes it work appropriate.  As far as the French dart, it was easy enough to do.  From what I've read the French dart basically combines the bust dart and waist darts into one dart diagonally beginning just above the waist.  It is supposed to add extra shaping below the bust.  It can't shape this top too much as it needs enough room to pull on over the head but with the drapy fabric it is flattering enough.  

It took me all day to make this top.  This fabric shreds badly at the cut edges if you just look at it and if this wasn't a wearable muslin where I needed to double-check the size as I went I would have probably tried French seams.  Instead I serged all the seams after confirming the fit.  The facings are quite wide and overlap a lot at the shoulders which means a lot of bulk there.  I'm thinking I should try drafting combination neck and arm facings and use the burrito method to sew it in.  We'll see.  Also I could easily eliminate the slit opening in the back because I can pull it on without opening the button.  That would make combination facings easier.

Bottom line - I am happy with this shell and I can see myself making more of this pattern.  It can be worn left untucked or tucked in, and worn alone, with a cardigan or with a blazer, with a skirt or with jeans.  I like the versatility and I think it makes a good wardrobe staple.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bionic Gear Bag - Pattern Review (long and pic heavy)

New Look 6735 - The Dedicated Post

Name That Bike!