Sunday, January 01, 2006

Gilmore Sweater - The Beta Version


This is the sweater that started it all. I just fell in love with it as soon as I saw it. Both Lane and Rory wear it in different episodes of Gilmore Girls; they have some awesome knitwear on that show! I love everything about this sweater. I love the colours, the fit, the fact that a classic yoked sweater can look so current, and the way her matching tee peeks out from the cuffs and waist.

So of course I had to make one for myself. First I tried to make my own graph of the design, but that soon proved to be a bigger challenge than I was ready to take on from a small pic frozen from the dvd. So then I started looking through Mom's patterns and came up with this one from Beehive, which I figured was pretty close. (doesn't the model look like Monica from "Friends"?)

Then being the cheap bastard that I am I proceeded to make it out of Bernat Super Value acrylic yarn. I left off the turtleneck and did it up as a crewneck. I'm not sure what size needles I used, probably the 6mm called for in the pattern instead of the 5mm called for on the yarn label. Lessons learned: buy nice wool to make nice projects, and use an appropriate gauge. You'll kick yourself everytime you wear a sweater you worked so hard on when it looks cheap because of the yarn. (in fairness I fell in love with the colour of the yarn and paid not attention whatsoever to what it was made of)

So here we go with the Beta version. I bought some nice Peruvian Highland Wool from Elann, and picked colours that will go nicely with three long sleeved t-shirts I like to wear to work so they can peek out from the cuffs and waistband. I swatched, and as usual my swatch was off, so after knitting about 8 inches of sweater it was going to be a little on the big side and I frogged the whole thing and am starting over. I really don't mind frogging; I'd much rather make it right than carry on just because I don't want to undo what's been done and end up with something I don't want to wear. (Another lesson learned!) I'm using 5mm needles (.5mm over what's called for on the label) and I'm currently about an inch into it. Wish me luck!

7 comments:

Areli said...

I like the colors you chose for your second sweater. Can't wait to see it knit up.

knitty_kat said...

oooh! If you didn't already have it, I was good to suggest Lopi - it's fairly inexpensive if you go to Lens & I think it's the traditional yarn used for pull-overs like that - I LOVE the one you made! Can't wait to see the new one!

Mama -E said...

The colors are sooo pretty... I can't wait to see the progress!
Happy New Year!

Jacqui said...

Oooh, knitty kat, I forgot about Lens Mills. Only been there once, but that's a great store! The pattern calls for a chunky yarn on 6mm needles, but I think that would be too hot for me to actually wear. Since I knit a little loose for gauge I'm using worsted weight on 5mm needles and knitting the larger size to get a smaller sweater. (fingers crossed!) At first I recalculated the pattern even bigger but that was working out too big.

JustApril said...

I LOVE the knit wear on Gilmore Girls, they have some awesome scarves! I am always getting RIGHT up to the TV and trying to get a better look. --sigh-- We should all find the email for the costume designers and beg for patterns! hahaha

Jerry & Maxy said...

OK, the sweater first: it rocks! It doesn't look cheap, but I'll trust you. I do love the colors though. So now I'm chomping at teh bit to see the Beta version.

Now the hat: I don't LOVE W&G, but that hat is truly the COOLEST hat I've seen in a loooooong time. I would never take it off either, and I look awful in yellow.

Rock on, jacqui!

PS- I hope your DD feels better soon.

Anonymous said...

I love watching the Gilmore Girls. The best part is that when I announce that it's coming on, the rest of the family leaves quickly! So I get uninterrupted knitting time as well. A win win situation. (I had a horrific time with the Peruvian wool pilling. )
Elizabeth
Kittycafe