I haven't spent much time in the sewing room this week. Unfortunately that's becoming a trend. I actually snuck away for a few hours yesterday to try and make some progress on New Look 6643. This simple dress has turned into a bit of a nightmare. That's because my mom suggested (rightfully so) that it would be much better if I lined it. Unfortunately I didn't put as much thought into the lining as I should have. The dress fabric is a lightweight woven suiting with 3% spandex so it has a nice little bit of give. This allows me to make the dress a snug fit. The lining I bought was basic lining with 0% give; minus 0 if that's possible. Not to mention super slippery and shreds like no one's business. Not so good for a snug fit. I considered tossing the lining but I am nothing if not stubborn. Eventually I got it put together. It's not perfect, but realistically no one else will see the flaws. And I have to admit that the dress hangs so much better being lined. Moms really do know best.
Thor had to photobomb this one
The other issue I was having is gaping at the back of the neck. I've run into this on other tops so it must be something about my back. Ultimately I think I need to go one size smaller for the upper back. I ended up partially taking out and adjusting the invisible zip two more times before being somewhat satisfied.
Nice smooth, even neckline
I am really happy with how the neckline turned out. I still have to finish the armhole edges the same as the neckline, do a little hand stitching at the top of the zipper to tidy it up and then do the hems. I'll be glad when this one is done.