Me, the one who never wins anything, actually won a $100 gift certificate from my LFS. Woohoo - go me! So Mom and I went stash shopping. I ended up with fabric for four short sleeved tees, four 3/4 sleeved tees, and two dresses. Not a bad haul if I say so myself.
I prewashed all the fabric and made up another version of New Look 6735. This has become my go-to tee pattern. I love the shaped back, I think I have the neckline fine-tuned to be work-appropriate but not too high (I hate a neckline right at my neck), and I am happy with the overall fit. I have previously made this top up here and here. I'm even playing with the idea of a colour-block one for leftovers once I get through a few more of them. We will see.
I used Jenny to coverstitch the hems. I did run into some problems doing the neckline. First I sewed the neck band to the top with a straight stitch on Phoebe, then tried to coverstitch to contain the raw edges on the inside. To put it bluntly I made a dog's breakfast out of it. So after spending well over an hour picking that all out I tried it the second time by serging the band in place and then coverstitching the base of the band. I was worried about it being too bulky but with some good pressing I think it actually turned out quite nice.
I like these new tops so much that I think it's time to purge the closet of many of the old, thin, ready-to-wear tees that I will probably no longer wear.