Hats!




I have a bit of a fixation with hats.  I love them; I love trying them on.  I like the way I look in them.  But I don't often actually wear them in real life.  Last summer I found a very nice hat store while on a short holiday with Mavis in Niagara on the Lake, and of course I bought a pricey hat.  We found ourselves back in this store again this year and promised myself I wouldn't buy another one, although I was very tempted!

Then I saw this; fabric hats!  So of course you know where my mind went from there...

The apple doesn't fall far from the tree!
 Off to google I went in search of a pattern.  I came across this free one from Martha Stewart, and figured she would know all about hats, right?

Well she may know hats but I found the pattern to be poorly drafted.  The brim didn't match up with the crown.  I forced it to fit but I wasn't happy with it at all and I ripped it apart to start over.  I redrafted the pattern to make it fit better, recut the fabric and sewed it back together.  Success!



Hat 2.0

Once it was made I realized I could wear it with my graduation dress to an upcoming summer garden wedding.




Once I had a successful hat I thought of a variation where I could cut out part of the back of the brim so that I could lean back in my lounge chair without knocking the hat off my head.  Hence, hat 2.0.



Have I mentioned that an empty coffee can makes a good hat stand?




Next up I think I'll try one with a smaller brim, more like a bucket hat or a cloche hat.
More hats!
Actually wearing a hat in real life :)



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bionic Gear Bag - Pattern Review (long and pic heavy)

New Look 6735 - The Dedicated Post

Name That Bike!