Wednesday, February 19, 2014
The Queen Has Chosen
Sergio's cover for the base and I had scraps of animal print fleece to use for the top and sides. I sandwiched a layer of quilt batting between the base and top and stuffed the sides with craft batting/stuffing. First I basted the quilt sandwich together and then I basted one edge of the sides to it. In hindsight I could have done that in one step rather than two but I was making this up as I went. I then added the stuffing and serged all the layers together.
Although it's not obvious in the pics the base is about 4" bigger in diameter than the original bed. The sides tend to roll into the middle on mine whereas they seem to stay centered on the store-bought one. I'm wondering if this has something to do with the serging. I could try topstitching the seam towards the centre to see if it will work better, but I think the size is ok as it is. I had made the sides smaller to make for a bigger hole. The whole thing is very soft and squishy and should reflect back her body heat.