The busy pattern of the fabric makes it hard to see the details of this outfit, but trust me when I say that it looks fabulous in real life. I have wanted to replicate Angela Wolf's twin sets but haven't been able to find a pattern for a cardigan that fits like hers. Jalie has a couple but one has huge built in pockets and the other has pleats. I just want clean lines. Angela says she is hoping to release a pattern at some point but I am too impatient to wait so I came up with my own. Or rather, I modified New Look 6735.
I used the tee pattern (a tried and true pattern for me) for the sleeveless top and cut off the 5/8" seam allowances at the sleeve openings. I then took off a further 5/8" from the top half of the sleeve openings. I finished them with banding the same as the neckline.
The cardigan in this pattern is pretty big and mostly shapeless, using a belt to bring it in at the waist. The sleeves are a bit wider than I wanted, presumably to accommodate sleeves underneath. I can see a need for this pattern in a heavier fabric for warmth, but I was looking for a twin set look using a thin knit. I want the sleeves to fit well enough that I can push them up to my elbows and they stay put, and I want a sleek silhouette. I think I have succeeded and ended up with a definitely wearable muslin.
|Worn over New Look 6940|
graduation dress! This one is definitely a keeper.