New Look 6940

Alternative post title: "I Should Learn to Listen to My Mother"

Not the most flattering top I've made
I've made New Look 6940 before although I didn't blog it. Previously I made version B (shown here under the cardigan) which is quite flattering, but wanted to give view C a try with its horizontal and vertical gathers at the bust. Mom thought it looked frumpy. I thought it was a cute little summer top. What could go wrong?


I guess the first problem is a fitting problem. It seems that tops with a detail focus at the bustline generally are too short on me. This is a perfect example; if I'm not constantly pulling it down the top rides up over my bust as it's starting to here. The second problem is that the soft draping on the front that I thought would be good to hide my tummy ended up just looking - oh, I don't know, frumpy?


About the only redeeming quality of this top is the centre seam in the back that gives a nice shape in spite of the loose front.

So I don't know. It looks cute on other versions I've seen but the best feeling I can muster up for it is "meh". I definitely feel I look better in a more fitted tee.

It's not too bad under a cardigan. I may try adding some sleeves to see if that improves it. Otherwise this one goes into the pile of "lessons learned". Sigh.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bionic Gear Bag - Pattern Review (long and pic heavy)

New Look 6735 - The Dedicated Post

Simplicity 2446 - Amazing Fit Jacket Pattern