New Look 6107 - And A New Name

Yes, that's a new name at the top of the blog.  I've never been very enthusiastic about the old name, it was just a space filler.  I tried to think of something more appropriate to what my blog is about.  Yes, it's about sewing.  But it's also about knitting, my garden, my pets, vacations, or anything else that has nothing to do with work.  And that's the key - it's about my time away from work: off the clock.


Now with that out of the way, let's talk about New Look 6107.  I stopped in at the fabric store yesterday to get some swimsuit elastic and a button for the beige cardigan.  This stretch denim was calling my name and a meter ended up coming home with me.  I've been wanting a casual summer skirt and I figured this fabric would fit the bill.

I am quite happy with all of the New Look patterns I have tried, and this one was no exception.  The instructions were easy to follow and my size fit right out of the envelope.  I did change the zipper design.  The pattern calls for a lapped zipper, but I think I prefer the look of a centred zipper.
I turned the hem 3/8" an sewed it down, then turned it another 1/2" and topstitched.  This stretch denim was unraveling so I serged the seam edges to finish them.  Of course I did this - again - after sewing the skirt together.  WHEN will I remember to finish the edges before assembly?!  At least I remember to turn off the knife on the serger this time.
Incidentally the beige cardigan looks AMAZING with this skirt!  So I was thinking I should make a new top to go with it.  I have this newly acquired blue ponte knit that I think would look good with the colours in the skirt.  I've got about 1 1/2 meters so I could make a 3/4 sleeve tee, but I already have blue tees in various sleeve lengths that would go with the skirt and I'm itching to try something completely different.

I'm thinking about using it to make view E (top row right side shown in brown) of New Look 6808.  I know this pattern is for woven fabrics, but I think I could get away with making it in a ponte knit.  I would change the bust darts to an eased dart like in my tee pattern, and I would eliminate the vertical darts and adjust at the side seams.  I could probably even leave the side zip out to make it a pullover.  And I think the ponte would be sturdy enough to carry off that collar.  What do you think?  Should I go for it?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Bionic Gear Bag - Pattern Review (long and pic heavy)

New Look 6735 - The Dedicated Post

Simplicity 2446 - Amazing Fit Jacket Pattern