New Look 6977


I decided it was time to try out a new tee.  I have been having so much success with New Look 6735 that it's hard to switch over to something untried.  I wanted to try this particular pattern because I thought the raglan sleeve would be a good opportunity to use up some scraps from previous tees, so technically this tee is a freebee.  My final verdict?  Meh.

I think the gathers in the front should be lower - centered over the bustline instead of running to the neckline.  IF I were to make it again I may just leave those out entirely and redraft the neckline.

The raglan sleeves are too big and gapey (is that a word?).  This is a common complaint of this pattern at Pattern Review.  I tried to compensate by sewing a vee into the underarm seam similar to the dart at the neckline.  This resulted in a wierd bulge underneath that remains hidden as long as I don't raise my arms for anything.  Sigh.  On her version my mom tried to compensate by adjusting the top seam of the sleave.  The top looks better but it still left a lot of gapiness at the underarm (sorry Mom!).

Me and my twin ;)
Finally, the tee just doesn't fit as well as 6735.  I don't know if it is because there is no centre back seam in 6977 but the pattern just doesn't seem as well fitted.  It is possible I may make a mash-up of the two tees at some point, we will see, but I'm really not feeling motivated to make another 6977 as it is.


 

Comments

First time reading this blog, thanks for sharing.

Popular posts from this blog

My Bionic Gear Bag - Pattern Review (long and pic heavy)

New Look 6735 - The Dedicated Post

Simplicity 2446 - Amazing Fit Jacket Pattern