Saturday, July 12, 2014

New Look 6977


I decided it was time to try out a new tee.  I have been having so much success with New Look 6735 that it's hard to switch over to something untried.  I wanted to try this particular pattern because I thought the raglan sleeve would be a good opportunity to use up some scraps from previous tees, so technically this tee is a freebee.  My final verdict?  Meh.

I think the gathers in the front should be lower - centered over the bustline instead of running to the neckline.  IF I were to make it again I may just leave those out entirely and redraft the neckline.

The raglan sleeves are too big and gapey (is that a word?).  This is a common complaint of this pattern at Pattern Review.  I tried to compensate by sewing a vee into the underarm seam similar to the dart at the neckline.  This resulted in a wierd bulge underneath that remains hidden as long as I don't raise my arms for anything.  Sigh.  On her version my mom tried to compensate by adjusting the top seam of the sleave.  The top looks better but it still left a lot of gapiness at the underarm (sorry Mom!).

Me and my twin ;)
Finally, the tee just doesn't fit as well as 6735.  I don't know if it is because there is no centre back seam in 6977 but the pattern just doesn't seem as well fitted.  It is possible I may make a mash-up of the two tees at some point, we will see, but I'm really not feeling motivated to make another 6977 as it is.


 

No comments: